Arrival & Departure
Students may begin to arrive at school beginning at 7:30am. Please do not drop off students before this time, even if staff is present. You should pull in and go down and to the right of the middle (arts & sciences) building. You will circle that building and come around back towards the parking area. You may drop off at any of the buildings along the way. If you need to handle business with your student at drop off (write a note, discuss pickup plans, etc.), please pull into a parking spot so that you do not hold up other families. Students may not be dropped off up near the road or in the middle of the parking lot--you must enter and circle the car line or park. Homeroom begins at 8:15am, and students are considered tardy at 8:25am. After 8:25am, students must check into the front office and it is the parent/guardian's responsibility to ensure they come into the front office.
Please be vigilant in watching for other students while driving through our lot at any time. Also note that driving past the upper parking lot is not allowed between 8:25am and 2:55pm. Road gates and/or stop signs will be placed during the day to protect our students as they utilize the whole campus during the day.
School ends at 3:15pm. If you need to pick your child up sooner, please call or come to the front office. The student must come through the front office for checkout and cannot go from class straight to the car. It is the parent/guardian's responsibility to ensure their child's safety once they leave the front office.
Please note that driving past the upper parking lot is not allowed between 8:25am and 2:55pm. Road gates and/or stop signs will be placed during the day to protect our students as they utilize the whole campus during the day. If you arrive before 2:55pm, you may line up behind the gate and/or stop sign. Please do not move the gates/signs on your own. Once we determine all students are away from the pickup areas, we will move the gates/signs. Then you may go to the right of the middle (arts & sciences) building. You will circle that building and come around back towards the parking area. We will stop cars between the Arts & Sciences building and the High School building and call the students to your car. Students will not be called for vehicles in the upper lot--you must be in the car line to pick up your student at regular dismissal. Please be vigilant in watching for other students while driving through our lot.
Schedules & Programs
Yes, aftercare is available and registration is required. If a student is not picked up promptly and has to be placed in aftercare without prior registration, there will be a drop-in fee of $4, in addition to the daily fee of $10. There are discounts available for using aftercare an entire week. Aftercare runs until 6:00pm. Late pickups will incur significant late fees. Students must be picked up by an authorized adult (photo ID required).
The complete information and registration form can be found here.
PEPs are personalized education plans. All PEPs are updated during the first two months of school.
MAP Growth is a computer adaptive test created by NWEA (Northwest Evaluation Association) that students take two to three times per school year. The results provide teachers with information to help them deliver appropriate content for each student and determine each student's academic growth over time.
- MAP testing is adaptive, meaning that it is personalized to measure the needs of every student
- If your child answers a question correctly, the test follows up with a more challenging question.
- If your child answers incorrectly, the test follows up with an easier question.
Family Portal is where new families submit their initial enrollment, and then becomes your "home base" for your student's schedules, grades, etc. FACTS Family Portal (sometimes referred to as ParentsWeb or RenWeb) can be accessed from the link in the top section of our website or through the FACTS icon at the bottom of our website. You can also go there directly:
- Click on Parent Login and then FACTS Family Portal
- Enter our district code of FPS-GA
- Enter your user name and password*
- Make sure the Parent button is highlighted, then click Login
*If you have never accessed Family Portal, you can create a new account following these steps:
- Enter FPS-GA into the District Code field, enter your email, & click Create Account
- You will receive an email from FACTS containing a link that will allow you to create your username and password (link is only active for 6 hours)
- Once you have saved your username and password, you can log in
We do allow students to bring laptops or tablets that can be used during specific classroom activities. The use of cell phones is limited to before and after school. Please contact your child's teacher for more details.
Note: Teachers and other faculty reserve the right to request any student at anytime to no longer use these devices, and parents will be notified upon those requests.
While the student ID number is not frequently used, it can come up occasionally (such as accessing your child's yearbook or sports photos).
- Visit Family Portal at https://logins2.renweb.com/logins/ParentsWeb-Login.aspx (You can also go to our website as it's the middle button at the top section of the page.)
- Log In with our district code (FPS-GA), your username, and your password.
- Once logged in, you will start on the home School Screen. Scroll down that left menu and click on Family. In the middle of the screen, select the student.
- Look under the Contact Info box on the left and you will see the System ID Number right under the student's name.
Websites we love:
- FACTS Family Portal - All your school needs, from schedules to grades to homework
- GA Futures - Starting in 9th grade, you should register here in order to track your high school career and access important information for college
- Starfall - Help with early phonics, reading, math, and more
- Brain Connection - Keep your brain sharp by playing brain games for all ages
- Reading Horizons - Premier phonics website with input by Mr. Furtah and his mentor, Char Lockhart
- Concordia Language Villages - Immersion program for almost any world language
- Cool Math for Kids - Just what it sounds like!
- Learning Games for Kids - Yep, you guessed it, a fun variety of games
- Khan Academy - Free curriculum for all levels of subjects
- Test Prep Review - Test Prep resources and practice tests
FPS works off a Continuous Enrollment System. When students are continuously enrolled, the continuous enrollment process lets us know & maximize our resources to better fulfill our purpose and mission.
Your student will be re-enrolled each year at the discretion of FPS. Once your child enrolls, they are continuously enrolled until graduation from FPS, unless FPS declines to re-enroll the student OR the family follows a withdrawal procedure. We have eliminated the paperwork headache of re-enrollment and will generally just have you double-check your information in Family Portal.
Re-enrollment fees* will be billed to all existing students on March 1st at the discounted rate of $350. After April 1st, the fee will increase to $500 and your spot will no longer be reserved.
International Students are billed a down-payment fee* of $2000, due by June 1st. (This is in lieu of a re-enrollment fee.)
If you plan to withdraw, you must notify us in writing to start the process. If withdrawal is not communicated by March 15th, a $350 termination fee will be due.
*Please note that re-enrollment fees and international down-payment fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Tuition & Fee estimates for the next year will be sent in late spring/early summer to all re-enrolling families. If you are concerned about finances, feel free to reach out with any questions ahead of time. Also, review our page about Affording FPS.
If you are offered re-enrollment, you will receive a tuition & fee worksheet for the next school year in late spring/early summer. This will outline the typical annual fees as applicable. (See Tuition & Fees for more information)
Please respond back within one week with the following:
- Whether you plan to pay in full or through a monthly payment plan
- For a monthly payment plan, please confirm your preference for the 1st or the 15th of the month
- Let us know of any special requests. Common requests include paying July-April (instead of August-May) or paying in 2 or 3 bulk payments.
- What payment method you will use
- FACTS Payment Plan (preferred method)
- Cash or Checks should be delivered directly to Mrs. Galloway OR in a sealed envelope (with student's name) to one of the black boxes (on the right-hand wall just inside the main door for each building).
- Credit Card payments are preferred via PayPal. You can send payment to firstname.lastname@example.org OR you can request that we send PayPal invoices (for those who don't have a PayPal account)
- We can accept credit cards in office or over the phone (using Square) but we're charged a higher fee than via PayPal.
- Venmo - You can pay with your Venmo funds through your PayPal account. You can send payment to email@example.com
Once you confirm payment choices from your tuition & fee worksheet, you will receive a new contract for the upcoming school year. Please sign and return within one week. You can do this in the following ways:
- Sign digitally and email back. You may use the program of your choice. If you haven't used this type of program, Adobe Acrobat is free and has a free Fill & Sign feature (found on the right hand menu).
- Print, sign, and bring by the school. You can give it to Mrs. Galloway directly OR you can drop it in one of the black boxes (on the right-hand wall just inside the main entrance of each building).
- Come into the school during scheduled hours. We can print the contract and have you sign.
Furtah Preparatory School is a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization. If we receive a charitable donation, we will send a letter confirming the donation amount and our tax ID for your records.
Some individuals are able to deduct portions of private school tuition, aftercare, or other costs and may need the tax ID. It is 58-2594275. These items are not automatically eligible for deductions (at the federal or state level), so please consult with a tax professional before claiming any deduction.
You may receive a variety of invoices from FPS, including tuition*, annual fees, athletic fees, yearbooks, etc. We also send statements at the end of the month when there is any outstanding amount due. Below are the methods of payment currently available:
- FACTS Payment Plans - This is our preferred method for domestic student tuition payments. (Annual fees can also be added in with tuition.) You can break your annual tuition into a single payment, two payments, or monthly payments and set up a bank account or credit card to have payments drafted. There is a (per family) fee each year of $5 for the pay in full option, $15 for the 2-pay option or $50 for the monthly option. FACTS will also offer tuition protection insurance, which is not required by FPS. If you choose to use a credit card for payments, there will be a processing charge as well. You can access the signup for FACTS Payment Plans at https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/3G76D
- Cash or Checks should be delivered directly to Mrs. Galloway OR in a sealed envelope (with student's name) to one of the black boxes (on the right-hand wall just inside the main entrance of each building).
- Credit Card payments are preferred via PayPal. You can send payment to firstname.lastname@example.org OR you can request that we send PayPal invoices. You are not required to have a PayPal account to pay via PayPal. If you don't have an account, we can send a PayPal invoice to your email and you can click to pay directly. (Please note: If you have a PayPal account, you will have to log in.)
- We can accept credit cards in office or over the phone (using Square) but we're charged a higher fee than via PayPal. We can keep a card on file, but you must come into the office and complete a form authorizing this.
- We also accept wire transfers (typically used for international students). Please note that the received wire funds must equal the amount due (meaning you must pay all the processing fees on your end). Wire Transfer instructions are included on international invoices, but you can contact us for the form.
- Venmo - You can pay with your Venmo funds through your PayPal account. You can send payment to email@example.com
*Please note that we charge a $100 accounting fee for families that do not use FACTS for monthly tuition payments. (If you pay in full at the start of the year, we do not charge this fee.) For returning families that have maintained prompt payments, we may waive that fee. For international students, FACTS Payment Plans is not currently an option and no additional fee is charged for wire transfers.
At this time, we do not pass along credit card fees. If you keep a credit card on file, either direct with FPS or through FACTS Payment Plans, please make sure to update records if a card is canceled, the number is changed, or the card expires. This will help you avoid returned or "bounced" payment fees.
Private school tuition (K-12) is generally not tax-deductible on your federal income tax return. We do not issue 1098 forms because of this.
We cannot provide tax advice. You may want to speak with a tax advisor about possible ways to minimize taxes on income that will be used for tuition (such as a 529 plan).
No meals are provided. We have a cafeteria where students have lunch, and there are microwaves available for warming meals as needed. Utensils, paper goods, and drinks are not provided. Please ensure that your student has eaten breakfast (or has something to eat before homeroom), and ensure they have everything needed for lunch. There are vending machines available in the cafeteria as well.
Periodically, we will have special meals, such as "Pizza Day", that may be offered as a reward or offered for purchase as a fundraiser. Notification will be sent prior to these events. *If a special meal requires payment, that payment must be done in advance, according to the information sent about the event. A student will not receive food if they did not pay in advance.
Furtah Preparatory School will make every effort to be open whenever possible. There will be days, however when weather conditions will make travel to and from school unsafe for students and/or staff. As a rule, we will follow Cherokee County schools on the first day of a weather event. We will make every attempt to get our individual school information out to all local news stations. On the second and subsequent days of a weather event, please look for Furtah specifically as we will follow our own schedule. If a school day is to be shortened or canceled, the announcement will be made by the major television station WSB-TV Channel 2. If no announcement is made on the television or radio, the school will be open. We will also post weather related closings and delays on our official Facebook page and the website.
If school is open during wintry weather, we will make every attempt to keep our parking lots and driving areas salted. Please use extreme caution if conditions may be icy, especially entering or leaving on the steep hill.
You can always find our Yearly Calendar link on the bottom of our home page. This shows major dates like the first day of school, last day of school, and holidays.
For a full calendar (with activities, athletics, etc.), click on Calendar on the main webpage or click on the Full Calendar button under News & Events.
When you are logged into Family Portal, the default page will list major dates. You can also click on Calendar in Family Portal to see more details.
Our daughter's life has changed so much since she has been [at Furtah]. This is only her first year, and she is already reading so much. She never comes home sad like she used to. She still has a long road ahead, but without Furtah, she will not make it. She has no behavior problems. She even loves school now. I always knew with the right schooling she would learn.
As we are coming close to ending a wonderful chapter in our lives, I wanted to thank each of you for all you have done. We have spent many Thanksgivings over the last 11 or 12 years with the FPS family and with [our son] being a senior, it saddens me that this is the last. Little did we know many years ago all the blessings that were in store along the way and I'm so glad I listened to that small still voice inside of me. When Mr. Furtah told me never to let anyone short change [our son], that there was more in him than others might see, that was the platform I stood on to begin changing his life.
From "Educating the Whole Student" to "Inspiring Hope and Changing Lives" you've managed to do it all! And just in case you're too close to notice, from outside looking in, there are so many families for whom you have forever made a difference.
I appreciate all the years at the school and all you and Mr. Furtah have and all the others have done for my kids! The joy of a small class is that even the parents get to know so many of the kids and I truly enjoyed hearing about all of them [at the Senior Banquet]! We appreciate it more than you will ever know! Thank you for the wonderful graduation and many wonderful years at Furtah Prep!
I just wanted to write to let you know what a great group of young men you have on your soccer team. Our boys at Weber played your team yesterday. I saw a very nice group of kids. They never got down, they were always very positive. We saw them celebrating all the small things going on throughout the game. After the game I asked my son about your team, and his comments were"they had the best attitudes of any team I have probably ever played against" ," they were really funny" and "we really liked them". High words of praise from a 15 year old! We look forward to playing you again later in the season.